5/4/09

And Now For Something Completely Different

Pop quiz: How would you pronounce "Featherstonehaugh"?
Give up? It's not what you think.
Whaa?

New nerd crack! (Just in case old nerd crack was getting boring.)

My favorite ones are where they try to return commonly butchered names back to their original pronunciations, such as
here and here. The unintended snootiness is utterly priceless.

Also, this one.

But wait! This totally contradicts their attempts at original-language authenticity. Someone should start a petition.

7 comments:

kg said...

I could listen to people saying Djibouti all day...

MasterGote said...

What? Perv!

CheeseQuest said...

omg, you pronounce Ng "mm"? I called a kid with that name "nig" the first day of class. o.m.g. I knew there was something wrong there.

CheeseQuest said...

Also, where is Slavoj Zizek?

CheeseQuest said...

Oh, I found him. But they get major points subtracted for not doing the proper diacritical marks. Pronunciation? Maybe spelling should count too? Just sayin'.

Buster said...

Go to this link and click all four play buttons in descending order:

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d417/Fyodor_Mikhailovich_Dostoevsky

Repeat this several times.

Now, pick up your pencils and compose a five-sentence mini-essay on the origins of the Cold War.

Anonymous said...

Yup, Fanshaw. And "Cholmondeley" = "Chumly." And there's no audible "w" in "Norwich." Those wacky Brits!