5/2/09

Only Sort of Inspiring (Or Is It?)


I don't feel that it is necessary to know exactly what I am. The main interest in life and work is to become someone else that you were not in the beginning. If you knew when you began a book what you would say at the end, do you think that you would have the courage to write it? What is true for writing and for a love relationship is true also for life. The game is worthwhile insofar as we don't know what will be the end.
(Michel Foucault interview in Technologies of the Self)

For all of us trying to write, these words are cold comfort, no? Nonetheless, are they not also secretly exciting?


So, I've decided to stay on and try to write here while I can.

I heard a story recently by the expatriated Canadian Mavis Gallant called "When We Were Nearly Young." In it, a girl goes to Madrid thinking that "if I set myself against a background into which I could not possibly merge, that some outline would present itself." It doesn't work. (Or does it?)

I'm waiting for an outline, too. Not so muc
h of myself, but of the way I want to write about the things that I am writing about. It's coming, slowly, and I'm scared that if I leave and go through all the steps of playing house again, I'll lose momentum and the things that are exciting now will slip my mind.


Here are some boring things that I've been doing to get excited about another Moscow year:
1) ordering books and shoes for MomGote to bring in June
2) reconstituting dried chickpeas for making hummus
3) begging you guys to visit
(!)


4) reciting Saroyan: It'll hit you you in July.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hurray)

MasterGote said...

vk - thanks! I know I owe you an email, I'll give you a call tomorrow?

Unknown said...

I have a good programme for tomorrow - German Vinogradov's flat concert) don't you wanna join?

А зачем я пишу по-английски?

captain birthday said...

i am sad for your absence, but happy for your momentum. Go get'm, tiger!

CheeseQuest said...

I agree with C.B. I wish you'd move back to Cheeseville, but if you're feeling it, do it.

MasterGote said...

I wish there was a high-speed tunnel through center of the earth that cost the same as a subway ride and you all could take it every Saturday. I would cook Mark Bittman pancakes for everyone and then we would join the hoi polloi in the park. Also, everyone's dissertations would be written and I would have self-cutting, self-styling hair.

CheeseQuest said...

Are you by any chance coming back to renew your visa???

MasterGote said...

CQ - I'll be back in August and possibly early September. (Hopefully, though, my visa will already be in order by then.) Get your ice cream eating outfit ready.