"Moscow Conceptualism: Crazy Free-for-All, 1976-1995." Enh? Ennnnh???
And some other notes for the short of attention span:
1) VDNKh: I don't have to tell you twice.


Well, maybe just a little:
Also, don't you know it, people's friendship has officially been "outlived." Whew! Guess we don't have to worry about that anymore.

2) You'll get your point across better if you're naked. Witness:
Carolee Scheeman, Interior Scroll, 1975
Linda Benglis, ad in Artforum (Nov. 1974).
Eloise Fornieles, performance at the opening of "Natural Wonders: New Art from London" at Baibakova Art Projects at Red October Candy Factory.
3) Woody Allen thinks he can get away with the same lame-ass shit he's always pulled but now with extra-perky tits. That's right, I said it. (I'm sure many others have, too.)
4) Andrei Kuz'kin inspires me with his pessimism. But he lets me touch his art, so I don't mind.


4 comments:
Love the title. I think you might also work in "celebrity death match" or "RRRAAAAARRRR!!!" somehow!
Also, fear not, sweet baby, I will save you!!
Sure abstract art can be demanding on the viewer, but how often is he/she actually exhorted to save a baby as part of the piece? Very awesome.
Yea, you can't beat midwifery as participatory art. Youch!
There were so many other great pieces in that show, I wish I could remember the good ones. My favorite was possibly the table that just had like 30 or 50 (???) drawings scattered on top of it and you could just leaf through them and they all had messages scribbled on them. One of them said something like "I know you probably think I'm suspect for the high quality paper that I use, but I though five rubles was an adequate price to pay to write messages to you." Such a simple, cutting little commentary on audience judgment and expectation...Anyway, I wish I'd had my camera :(
I think you should stake your claim to the dissertation title in the CAA bulletin before someone beats you to it. Short, descriptive, to the point. Love it :). Though we need to have words about the 1976 part. And possibly the 1995 part, too :).
And wow - a promising young Russian artist? Exciting!
Post a Comment