My years of inveterate reading of the Weddings & Celebrations section of the NYTimes has paid off exactly twice. The first time can be described as the grotesque pleasure in reading about a girl I vaguely knew in high school, the daughter of a famous television news personality, a girl I maybe talked to once but who, with no explanation, haunted my thoughts in an annoying and pointless way, and the validation of unexpectedly reading about the dumb and pointless story of her eventual courtship and betrothal. The way their families met at some ski resort, if not literally
in a hot tub, the way she fainted at their first meeting because she had forgotten to eat, the whole stupid bourgeois drama finally resolving why, for what mysterious and inexplicable reason, this girl's existence kept surfacing in my memory. Aha! Finally! That is why! My idiotic brain can now randomly obsess about some other pointless thing lodged in my memory for no (yet) apparent reason!
The second time was today, when I read this
story of the most devastatingly adorable tale of nerd love, particularly for the quote, from the bride, describing a period of time when the couple had worked together at the Met but had not known each other until they worked together again at the Jewish museum:
It was a dress rehearsal of sorts: a stage on which we ultimately missed our cues.
I like especially how the Times writer uses this quote to start a new paragraph, as if it were some kind of topic sentence pertaining not to the concrete accident of their not meeting, but to some abstract idea of life as a whole in which we always miss our cues, the characters we are assigned to play never coming together as put down in the script. And that tragic fact - thrown out there so blithely, so nonchalantly, about 3/4 of the way down in the story - being just another sentence in the larger and equally tragic/ordinary whole.
4 comments:
It was, indeed, a very sweet story. When I first saw his name, I thought it was "Frogelman." But that would have been pushing the point of tacky overdetermination, right? I mean, these people were wooing each other with Waugh! Oh, nerd romance. Gotta love it.
Oh, Frogelman, I shall name my next (my only) amphibian pet after you...
This is a little late as an addition, but worth glancing through. Besides, I know you're a fan.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/24/london-review-books-personal-ads
Best link ever.
Also, I love that the British papers call the personals the "lonely hearts." That's so lovely.
MasterGote's favorite: Philanthropy is my middle name. It's just a name though so don't be expecting any free rides. You can call me Mr Wallace. My first name is none of your business. Applications to box no. 9741.
My favorite: Remember when all this was open fields, and you could go out and leave your door unlocked? Woman, 24. Inherited her mother's unreasonable and utterly unfounded nostalgia (and her father's hirsute back). WLTM barber with fondness for Sherbet Dib-Dabs and Parma Violets. Box no. 8486.
Post a Comment