1/13/09

Queer Links?

What do the following two things have in common?
I'm starting to forget why this makes sense, but I'm going to ponder while my cabbage1 ferments.

1
Deviant cabbage!!!

4 comments:

kg said...

Are you really fermenting home-made deviant cabbage?! If so, that's awesome and amazing!!! (My mom makes kvashennaya kapusta at home).
Thanks for the links. They are both wonderful. I happen to love both footnotes (which often have the best stories) and fermented foods very much and here's another connection:
The popularity of pickled and fermented goodies seems at least in part to be correlated with its existence in cultures (Russia!) in which people have to survive for long stretches of time on preserved foods. The pickled cabbage and cucumbers are your only vegetable for months; and footnotes, in a way, are your sustenance if you're working deeply through a topic, they are the threads that keep you (or me, at least) going and digging further and further. God is in the footnotes. It's a tenuous connection, I know, but why not?
Now go tell all the babushki at your local rynok that they are mongering queer food. I'm sure they'll love it :).

MasterGote said...

I am going to try really hard, though I was just told that I missed the really "cheap" cabbage from the end of the summer. Granted, I doubt I'll be making barrels and barrels of it, so the 7-8 ruble/kg price is not so important. This is going to be purely artisanal cabbage in small quantities. Documentation to follow.

I guess the link that makes these queer is their insistence on the centrality of the peripheral, though I also like your idea of survival. The cynic in me, however, sometimes falls into the frustrating thought that footnotes allow for the survival of texts that would not actually survive on their own (act as props). But I try not to entertain that cynic too frequently.

Buster said...

Try these:

http://nymag.com/arts/art/features/53148/

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4128/Root_Source:_Sauerkraut

MasterGote said...

Thank you kindly. And yea, that queer zine piece is a little short on stats, for obvious reasons.